Saturday, November 24, 2012

"I Saw God Wash the World"

A cool poem, brought to my attention by my grandmother;
I SAW GOD WASH THE WORLD
By William Stidger

I saw God wash the world last night
With His sweet showers on high;
And then when morning came
I saw him hang it out to dry.

He washed each slender blade of grass
And every trembling tree;
He flung his showers against the hills
And swept the rolling sea.

The white rose is a deeper white;
The red, a richer red
Since Gold washed every fragrant face
And put them all to bed.

There's not a bird, there's not a bee
That wings along the way,
But is a cleaner bird and bee
Than it was yesterday.

I saw God wash the world last night;
Ah, would He had washed me
As clean of all my dust and dirt
As that old white birch tree!
And guess what--God does!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...